Warts are annoying. They are ugly, they grow, they are contagious, and they drive you nuts. Fortunately, they rarely cause serious problems. (This article does not cover treatment of genital warts.)
“Viruses are responsible for both verrucas and warts. Warts look like little lumps and although they can grow anywhere, they are most common on the fingers or hand. Verrucas are foot warts but instead of growing outward, they grow inward. They can be extremely painful. You can spot them by the tell-tale black spot in the center of the painful area. Warts will often go away without any help, but in many cases nothing seems to shift them.” (7)
“Warts are among the most mysterious of all ailments to treat. They can respond to a plethora of approaches. Sometimes they respond to nothing at all.” (11)
Best oils to use:
You can apply any of these oils neat directly on the wart 2-3 times a day. You can also use a combination of 2 or more of any of these oils, and you can dilute them in 2 teaspoons of Cider Vinegar. Apply by using a cotton ball and apply to the wart directly, but avoid the surrounding area.
Things to do
You can use the same treatment for skin tags as you use for warts. Just be very careful around the eyes. If you have a wart or skin tag around your eyes, you need to speak with a doctor before treatment.
“Tea tree oil is the main essential oil that is touted for healing warts. Tea Tree oil is widely known for its antiseptic and anti-fungal properties, and some studies suggest that it also has antiviral properties. This is backed up by its success in treating warts, which are caused by the HPV virus. To use Tea Tree oil to cure a wart, you have to apply it–undiluted–directly to the wart a few times each day until the wart is completely gone. Other essential oils that might help are Lemon and Patchouli oils.” (1)
Here are a few options for recipes that I found in my research.
- 10 drops Lemon
- 5 drops Cypress
- 2 teaspoons Cider Vinegar
Put all ingredients in a clean, glass bottle and shake well. Apply by using a cotton ball or Q-tip and apply to the wart directly, but avoid the surrounding area. Apply twice a day until wart disappears completely. (7)
Special Wart Blend
- 12 drops Lemon
- 4 drops Tea Tree
- 4 drops Bergamot FCF
- 4 drops Thyme
- 3 drops Cypress
- 1 tablespoon Jojoba
Blend together in an dark colored glass bottle. Then apply only ONE drop ONCE a day to the wart. Use up to 2 weeks.
To use on children or the elderly – mix the above in 2 tablespoon of Jojoba oil and apply one drop once a day. If no improvement, discontinue and see your doctor. (12)
Wart Treatment Preparations for Adults and Children 12 and Up
(For drop amounts, click here) Combine all ingredients in a 12 ml, dark colored glass bottle. Soak the affected area in warm water for five minutes to soften the skin before applying oils. Use 2-3 drops of the anti-viral blend for each wart, twice to three times daily. Allow the skin to dry, or cover with a clean bandage. The treatment will take anywhere between 2-8 weeks of diligent application to completely heal the wart and its root virus. Be patient; the natural cure takes longer, but is kind to your body.
If you feel the “neat” essential oil application is too strong, we recommend diluting your formula with an equal part of Jojoba oil. Lavender oil can also be applied to areas around the wart before and after application to relieve tenderness and heal the skin.
Preparation for Children Under 12
Dilute 5 drops of the above blend in 2 tsp of apple cider vinegar in a small bottle. Dab carefully onto the wart with a Q-tip to avoid contact with surrounding skin. (10)
Here is what our RMO family members are saying about it on facebook:
- LSA: “Frankincense! Be consistent and it will go away:) My daughter used it straight out of the bottle twice a day. ”
- NC: “Oregano but be cautious, it is quite strong, but anti-viral. And again consistency! Do NOT use near the eyes. Really any oil that is either anti-viral, and will boost the body’s immune system and natural ability to heal should do the trick. Also setting the intention that the oil perform a specific job helps.”
- JGF: “Tea Tree oil (1 drop neat) then cover with a bandaid. Once or twice a day.”
- CEB: “We are using a blend of Cinnamon Bark, Lemon, and Helichrysum Italicum on my son’s warts. I’ve only been treating them once a day for the last couple weeks. I can see that the warts are dying!”
- JS: “I have used grapefruit seed extract and it worked really well. The skin will wrinkle or shrivel up and come off. works really well. Not sure about Grapefruit oil?”
- RMY: “I use Oregano for warts on hands or feet. It’s a hot oil, I mix it with Olive Oil before I put it on my skin. Warts are gone. But really be careful how much you use, as it is burning hot oil. But it worked wonders for my family.”
- PS: “ I concur – Oregano – then, use some oils specificlly for your liver like Celery Seed in a gel capsule – warts and skin tags are viruses that live in the liver.”
- KH: “We’re using Frankincense and Lavendar on the ones my son has on his head. They appear to be shrinking and dying off. We use the oil neat.”
- TFF: “I will have to back up the Oregano claim. I had a plantar wart on the bottom of my foot. I had it cut out by the DR and it came back even bigger, tried duct tape, nothing worked! I started using Oregano on it consistently and it started to shrink in the first week and disappeared after about 5-6 months. It was pretty big thus why it took so long but it is now gone when nothing else worked!”
- MV: ”Braggs Vinegar for warts.”
- The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Essential Oils: The Complete Guide to the Use of Oils in Aromatherapy & Herbalism by Julia Lawless
- Medical Aromatherapy: Healing with Essential Oils by Kurt Schnaubelt
- The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy by Valerie Ann Worwood
- The Aromatherapy Bible: The Definitive Guide to Using Essential Oils by Gill Farrer-Halls
- Rosemary Gladstar’s Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health: 175 Teas, Tonics, Oils, Salves, Tinctures, and Other Natural Remedies for the Entire Family by Rosemary Gladstar