Cardamom (Elettarria cardamomum) is a spice oil related to Ginger. It is often used to flavor Turkish coffee and East Indian chai tea. It has a warm, slightly spicy, sweet scent to it.
Combines well with:
Orange, Bergamot, Cinnamon Bark, Clove Bud, Ylang Ylang, Cedarwood, Ginger Root, Frankincense, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Patchouli, Rosewood, Lavender, Geranium, Rose Geranium, Lemon, Lime, Tangerine, Jasmine, Neroli
Ways to use it
- Gives strength to act on decisions.
- Encourages a spirit of adventure, helps you look to new horizons.
- To improve memory and concentration, vaporize 3 drops Cardamom and 3 drops Cinnamon Bark.
- Energize and refresh lethargic mind, diffuse 2 drops Cardamom and 4 drops Red Mandarin.
- Warming to the body.
- Relieves pain.
- Improves digestion.
- Add 3 drops Cardamom and 3 drops Sandalwood to 1 teaspoon Jojoba for a perfume.
- Improves mental clarity and memory.
- Mood uplifting.
- Cardamom can also help alleviate nausea. Add 2 drops of Cardamom to a small handful of Jojoba oil and apply it to lower back and belly.
- Long considered an aphrodisiac.
- Mainly you should inhale the scent and see how it makes you feel. That’s a great way to get started. And have fun with it!
Here are a few recipes involving Cardamom oil. To check for more, you can click on Cardamom in the tagged section at the end of the article. That will show you all articles mentioning it.
*Please note: With any recipe’s involving bath or massage blends, always test on a small part of your skin first before using all over your body. Please be sure your skin can handle the blend before being covered in it.
Relieve Upset Stomach or Stomach Pain
- 2 drops Cardamom
- 2 drops Ginger Root
- 4 drops Orange
- 1 tablespoon F.C.O. (Fractionated Coconut Oil)
Massage on abdomen in clockwise motion as often as necessary until symptoms subside. (2)
Travel Comfortably Mist Spray
- 30 drops Ginger Root
- 30 drops Allspice
- 30 drops Cinnamon Bark
- 30 drops Geranium
- 30 drops Cardamom
- 4 ounces pure water
Add all ingredients to a 4 ounce, fine mist spray bottle. Shake well before every use. Spray liberally inside of car and hotel/motel rooms. Use before and during the trip as necessary. Inhale deeply. Will help soothe the stomach and help make travelling more enjoyable. (1)
- 4 drops Cardamom
- 4 drops Cedarwood Atlas
- 2 drops Benzoin
- 1 tablespoon F.C.O.
Massage into chest twice a day. (2)
Bath Blend for Viral Infections
- 2 drops Cardamom
- 4 drops Bergamot
- 1 cup Epsom salts
Dissolve essential oils in epsom salts then add to a warm/hot bath. Soak for 20 – 30 minutes to aid in treatment of viral infections. (2)
- 3 drops each of Cardamom
- 2 drops of Jasmine
- 2 drops of Frankincense
- 3 drops of Rosewood
- 1/2 cup Rose Water
Blend all together in a dark amber bottle with a spray mist. Shake well. It should last quite a while since it is made with rose water. (3)
Do you think it’s time to try Cardamom oil out? Once you do, let us know what you think!
- 500 Formulas for Aromatherapy by Carol Schiller and David Schiller
- The Essential Oils Handbook: All the Oils You Will Ever Need for Health, Vitality, and Well-Being by Jennie Harding