So many men have to face prostate issues in some way and at some point in time, whether it be prostatitis or prostate cancer. I wanted to see if there are ways to use essential oils to treat prostate issues. Here is some of the information I found while researching the subject:
The prostate is a walnut-sized gland found only in men. It sits just below the bladder and surrounds the urethra, the tube that carries urine through the penis. The prostate’s job is to make fluid for semen.
The prostate grows naturally with age, usually without problems. In some men, the enlarged prostate compresses the urethra, making urination difficult and causing benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). BPH symptoms include:
- Urinating frequently, especially at night
- Difficulty getting a urine stream going
- Feeling as if you are unable to get all the urine out
Prostatitis is an inflammation of the prostate, often caused by bacteria. Think of prostatitis as a type of men’s urinary tract infection. Prostate infection is rarely serious, but if you have symptoms of prostatitis, see your doctor. Possible symptoms include:
- Pain urinating or ejaculating
- Fever and chills
- Pelvic pain
- Needing to urinate more often
- Cloudy urine (5)
Do’s and don’ts
- Try to empty your bladder before going to bed.
- Avoid carbonated water in the form of cold drinks.
- Avoid starchy food, spicy food, oily and canned food.
- One of the best ways to alleviate urination problem is to have more sex. Ejaculation empties the prostrate secretion that hinders urination.
- Avoid caffeine in any form like aerated beverages, chocolates and of course coffee and tea as it tightens the bladder neck creating problems for urination.
- Avoid consumption of alcohol as this too tightens the bladder neck which could hamper urination. Alcohol is a diuretic and increases urine in the bladder thus creating more problems.
- Avoid antihistamines and decongestants as it is more harmful than beneficial.
- Try to avoid stress as it impacts the prostrate gland. Stress can increase adrenal hormones which causes difficulty in urination.
- Although an embarrassing treatment, prostrate massage can provide relief from inflammation and swelling. This is done by the doctor or nurse who inserts a finger into the rectum and massages the prostate for ten to twenty minutes.
- Practice Kegel exercises to improve circulation of the tissues. Kegel exercise is done by pulling up all the muscles around the scrotum and anus. Repeat it 10 times and do this at least 5-6 times a day.
- Latest researches say that some Yoga postures have shown miracle in treating prostate problems. There were many proven clinical trials on the same. Doing Yoga postures regularly on daily basis will not only improve your prostate health but will also bring harmony in general health. You can do Vajrasana and Forward Bend Asana (Paschimothana Asana) to treat prostrate disorders.
There are many precautions to be taken in order to keep the prostate gland healthy. The above should be borne in mind and acted upon where possible. (6)
- Singles: Jasmine, Basil, Artemesia, Cucumber Seed, Spruce, Cypress, Myrtle, Pine, Chamomile, Melaleuca, Thyme
- Carriers: St. John’s Wort, Apricot Kernel,
You know what I’m going to say first here. Eat a proper diet! A diet low in saturated fat and high in fruits and vegetables will be very helpful. Also keep yourself hydrated. And as a point of interest, a friend of mine who has an enlarged prostate has found that eliminating all red meat (beef and pork) from his diet has kept his prostate down.
Certain foods, vitamins, and minerals can help alleviate prostate enlargement: Pumpkin Seeds, Cucumbers, Calcium Magnesium, Vitamin E, and Zinc. (4)
Always check with your doctor before attempting any self-treatment. Particularly insure that you don’t have prostate cancer.
Black Cumin applied daily to bottom of feet has had a marked effect on AG. He has an enlarged prostate and as long as he applies 2-3 drops a day on each foot, his prostate health is much better.
Research has shown that muscle relaxation is vital in relieving a prostate that is chronically inflamed because of a hormone imbalance. You can apply a warm compress containing any of these blends of oils behind the scrotum. You can also massage the oils in this area. (2)
Watermelon seeds are also helpful when treating prostate imbalance. If you have a hard time eating the black ones straight, you can always blend them up in a smoothie or use the Watermelon Tonic recipe below. As a smoothie, you can blend watermelon with the seeds and several berries and a few citrus.
Saw Palmetto probably isn’t a cure for prostate cancer but it can help as a preventative. You can drink the tea daily. Other possibilities are Pau d’arco, a South American herb. It can be taken as capsules, a tincture, or as tea.
Shiitake and Reishi Mushrooms are good to include in your diet as well. They are often used in anti-cancer diets because they have demonstrated antitumor behavior. They are tasty and can be found fairly easily. On a side note, Shiitake mushrooms also help lower blood cholesterol.
Here are some recipes you can try for treating your prostate issues. For more, you can click on prostate in the tagged section at the end of the article. you can also type prostate into the search field at the top of the page.
Before using any of these recipes, be sure test the oils formulas on your skin first. Particularly before using any suppositories or massaging into sacrum. Those are tender areas so test on a tender area first. Please make sure you can handle the oils on your skin before using.
Inflamed Prostate Reliever Suppositories
- 2 ounces Cocoa Butter
- 10 drops Geranium
- 5 drops Cypress
- 2 drops Peppermint
Melt cocoa butter over low heat. Remove from heat and stir in essential oils. Chill the mixture until it just begins to harden, then form suppositories about the size and shape of the tip of your little finger. Place them on a sheet of waxed paper in the refrigerator. When they have hardened, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Insert 1 suppository, rectally, at night to relieve symptoms of inflamed prostate. (3)
- 5 drops Lavender
- 10 drops Cypress
- 10 drops Eucalyptus Radiata
- 5 drops Thyme
- 2 tablespoons Jojoba
Massage around the lower abdominal area, over the lower back, and around the sacrum as needed. Maximum 3 times a day. (1)
- 5 drops Lavender
- 3 drops Pine
- 3 drops German Chamomile
- 1 ounce Calendula oil
Mix formula together in a dark colored glass bottle. Apply to area near the prostate twice daily to help reduce inflammation. (2)
Male Hormonal Tonic
- 2 drops Tea Tree
- 5 drops Pine
- 3 drops Sandalwood
- 2 drops Myrtle
- 1 drop Patchouli
- 1 ounce St. John’s Wort oil
Combine all ingredients in a dark colored glass bottle. Use daily in a bath, massage, or body oil. (2)
- 2 drops Rosemary
- 2 bags Chamomile Tea
- 1 teaspoon Jojoba
- 1/2 cup Epsom Salts
Take a warm sitz bath — warm water bath only to hips — for several minutes. (2)
Watermelon Cooling Tonic
- 1 Watermelon
- 1 handful unsalted Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 drop Cucumber Seed oil
Fill your blender with watermelon and seeds (off the rind). Add the pumpkin seeds and Cucumber Seed oil and blend until creamy. Drink 1 quart a day. (4)
A last thought
While there are some who are embarrassed about it, the majority of all men have to face prostate issues at some time or another. What have you done to treat yours? What recipe are you going to try? What tip works the best for you? Please let us know in the comment section at the bottom of the page. It would be helpful for everyone.
- The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy by Valerie Ann Worwood
- Aromatherapy: A Complete Guide to the Healing Art, 2nd edition, by Kathi Keville and Mindy Green
- The Aromatherapy Companion, by Victoria H. Edwards
- Rosemary Gladstar’s Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health: 175 Teas, Tonics, Oils, Salves, Tinctures, and Other Natural Remedies for the Entire Family by Rosemary Gladstar