Vitex Berry (Vitex Agnes castus)is also known as Agnus Castus, which means “chaste lamb,” in reference to the ancient use of the herb to encourage sexual abstinence in monks leading a religious life. This is THE oil to use to balance progesterone-estrogen hormones in women. “Unlike any other oil, it actually improves progesterone levels, or more correctly it creates proper estrogen-progesterone balance….”(2) It is considered by the aromatherapy community to be “…a highly effective and safe agent to equilibrate progesterone and estrogen levels, significantly easing PMS and menopausal complaints.” (6) It’s only recently that people began distilling the oil for use in aromatherapy. The scent has an uplifting, minty, herby smelling aroma to it.
Aromatic influences: Harnesses and enhances inner feminine energy. Supports expression of inner feelings. Feminine, pungent, grounding.
Combines well with:
Lavender, Valerian Root, Rose, Clary Sage, Geranium
Points of interest
- Do not use during pregnancy or when breastfeeding.
- Is particularly good for regulating progesterone levels. Works directly on the pituitary gland.
- Non-toxic, non-irritating, and non-sensitizing. Safe for all skin types.
- Use on period related acne.
- This is probably one of the most important herbs used to treat female hormonal disorders such as pre-menstrual syndrome (PMS) and is considered to be a hormonal modulator.
- Best way to use this oil is to apply 1 drop to wrists or temples every day to balance female hormones. Use for PMS as well as Menopause.
- For PMS, use 1-2 drops a day on wrists or temples at minimum for the last two weeks of your cycle. May take up to three months to show the full effect.
- Loosens tight muscles and helps relieve pain and spasms.
- Vapors can help open breathing passages.
- Calming. Helps reduce stress and tension. Helps bring you to a peaceful state.
- Also works as a diuretic.
- Try it out. See what you think.
Here are a few recipes involving Vitex Berry oil. To check for more, you can click on Vitex Berry in the tagged section up under the title at the top of the article. That will show you all articles mentioning it. As it is so good to use for Menopause, you can also check out more recipes in the article focusing on Menopause.
*Please note: With any recipe’s involving bath or massage blends, always test on a small part of your skin first before using all over your body. Please be sure your skin can handle the blend before being covered in it.
Ease Symptoms of Menopause
- 4 drops Fennel Seed
- 2 drops Vitex Berry
- 4 drops Lavender
- 1 tablespoon F.C.O. (Fractionated Coconut Oil)
Massage formula, using clockwise strokes, into abdomen, chest, and shoulders twice daily. Especially good for treating hot flashes. (1)
- 2 drops Rose Geranium
- 1 drop Vitex Berry
- 1 drop Neroli
- 1 tablespoon Jojoba
Add formula to a warm/hot bath and soak for 20 minutes. Can also dissolve formula in 1 cup epsom salts and add to bath to soften skin and remove impurities. Especially good to help balance peri-menopause and menopause hormone fluctuations. (1)
- 2 drops Vitex Berry
- 2 drops Rose or Rose Geranium
- 1 teaspoon F.C.O.
Add blend to a warm/hot bath and soak for 20 minutes. Can also dissolve formula in 1 cup epsom salts and add to bath water to soften skin and remove impurities. (1)
Vitex Berry is a unique oil. Because it’s so relatively new to the aromatherapy world, I was very excited to get some good information for you. After you try out this very interesting oil, you need to come back on here and share with us what your experiences have been.
- The Essential Oils Handbook: All the Oils You Will Ever Need for Health, Vitality, and Well-Being by Jennie Harding