Oh the dashing bearded man! Over the centuries of time he has come to represent so many things. From fearsome pirates to fiery academics; from hippies to hipsters. The bearded man has become a distinguished symbol of knowledge and power, striking fear in the hearts of every single Gillette executive. But if you were to take a poll of their significant others, and ask the following questions, what would be the responses?
A: Your man’s face to feel like a bale of brillo pad?
B: Your man’s face to provide soft, pleasant, pillowy comfort?
I’m guessing maybe .01 to 99.9%, in favor of B….
So let’s have at it. Ways to use essential oils to take care of your beard.
Essential Oils: Bay Rum, Bay Leaf, Clove, Cinnamon Bark, Cedarwood, Sandalwood, Pine Needles Rosemary, Lavender, Thyme, Lemon, Cypress, mints, and spices
Carrier oils: Castor oil, Olive oil, Vitamin E, Avocado, Jojoba
Points of interest
- When it comes to a dry, prickly beard, the easiest thing is to do is add 1-4 drops of essential oil of choice to about 1 teaspoon of the carrier oil of choice and massage into beard after a shower. Leave in for about 1/2 hour then wash out. Or you can take a towel and rub it out of your beard, if you don’t want to go back into the shower.
- There are several options also available to you that can be found in the Essential Oil Hair Care series. The articles are focused on specific hair types and you can find different cleaning and conditioning methods for your specific hair type. You can also find some good ones in the Natural Men’s Care section of articles.
- To add a scent to your beard, use the essential oil(s) of choice and apply undiluted to the ends of your beard. The easiest thing is to put 2-3 drops on your fingertips and brush onto ends of beard. Especially good to do when you are heading out for a night on the town or for a romantic evening.
- Put 1-2 drops of Rosemary on a comb and comb through your beard to help strengthen and soften the hair.
- If your beard needs softening, use castor oil and Vitamin E oil as your carrier oils. The two work well together to soften and strengthen hair.
- Keep your beard trimmed nicely. It can still get split ends and those are really obvious on your face. But keeping it trimmed will help take care of those scraggly ends so it doesn’t look like you gave up on yourself.
- Rocky Mountain Oils has a blend called Hair Support that would also be very good for your beard. Put a couple of drops in some carrier oil and comb through beard. Massage well into skin. Wipe off excess.
Always test on a small part of your skin first before using all over your beard. Please be sure your face can handle the blend before being covered in it.
- 1/2 cup Liquid Castile Soap
- 1/2 cup Aloe Vera gel
- 30 drops Pink Grapefruit oil
- 9 drops Rosemary
Mix together soap and aloe vera gel in a bowl, add essential oils. Stir well. Decant into bottle of choice. Use to wash your beard. (4)
Go Bananas Conditioner
- 1/2 ripe Banana
- 1/4 cup Warm Water
- 2 tablespoons Honey
- 1 teaspoon Virgin Coconut oil
- 2 drops Lemon
Mash the banana, then put in a blender, add the rest of the ingredients and blend until very smooth. To use, first wash your beard with shampoo then apply entire mixture into beard and chin. Leave treatment in for about 30 minutes, then rinse thoroughly. Will help condition beard very deeply and moisturize the skin of your face. Will also make you smell like you’ve been to a tropical island. (3)
- 4 teaspoons grated Beeswax
- 2 teaspoons Castor oil
- 2 drops essential oil of choice
Mix together beeswax and castor oil in glass bowl. Heat in microwave until beeswax is melted, stir frequently. Pour into a clean container and mix in essential oil. Allow to cool until solid. Label and close lid tightly. To use, rub finger over wax and apply sparingly over beard and mustache. This will help keep your mustache and beard in place and looking well groomed and professional. Can also be used to tame crazy eyebrows. (1)
Beard Conditioning Formula
- 10 drops Rosemary
- 5 drops Lavender
- 5 drops Thyme
- 10 drops Lemon
- 4 teaspoons Sweet Almond oil
- 2 teaspoons Jojoba
Mis together all ingredients in a dark colored, glass bottle. Shake well for 2 minutes and store in a dark place for 24 hours before using to allow oils to synergize. Label and keep handy. To use, apply some around the beard and into the skin and beard about 10 or 15 minutes before showering. (2)
A last thought
Your beard doesn’t have to look like you belong on Duck Dynasty. You can still look well-groomed, professional, and smelling like something other than the last meal you ate. Have some fun and then tell us about it in the comment section at the bottom of the page.
- Natural Beauty at Home: More than 250 Easy-to-Use Recipes for Body, Bath, and Hair, by Janice Cox
- The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy, by Valerie Ann Worwood
- Ecobeauty: Scrubs, Rubs, Masks and Bath Bombs for You and Your Friends, by Lauren Cox and Janice Cox
- Organic Beauty with Essential Oil: For Natural Skin Care, Hair Care and Bath & Body Products, by Rebecca Park Totilo